Ever had this happen to you, you get several text messages (or just one) you read all of your messages and it still shows 1 unread message? You try turning your phone off, a hard reset, quiting the messages app and nothing makes the badge icon with the 1 unread mark go away. If you are like me and task oriented or just like things to show up properly then this could be very annoying. Always thinking you have a text message when you don’t; not cool.
Here are some steps that you can take to resolve this issue (this is the order I would perform the steps in):
- Power off your iPhone if you haven’t already and power it back on
- Perform a hard reset by holding down the Home and the Power button until the iPhone shuts off; then power it back on
- Check to make sure the Messages App isn’t still running somehow and quit it if it is. You can check this by double-tapping the home button and scrolling through the open apps
- Check to see if you have received any automated texts from a business (especially AT&T, Verizon, Team Mobile, etc.). This might look like a reminder text or a receipt for a payment made. —-> This was the solution for one iPhone I looked at today
- Go through and delete your text message conversations starting with the most recent ones
If one of these steps doesn’t work for you post a comment with what you have tried and I will offer some other suggestions.